Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Carey's solo for Daniel

*EVIDENCE FOR DANIEL*

I HAD SOMETHING IN MIND….

…for Daniel’s Evidence solo. It started out like this….

(Wearing all black with hat and glasses
Stand behind benches in bushes
Pseudo-Whispering text
I’m a mix between David Attenborough and a field recordings collector)

“Ok, here we go:
life score, take one….chirp, whimper…
shit, what’s that?
ok, try that again
life score, take 2…
damit, don’t do that…
sigh, do you have any mechanical pencils?”

Then other stuff was gonna happen….

BUT THEN SOMETHING ELSE, THE INCIDENT, HAPPENED…

…and everything changed

After our “incident” (Daniel telling me “Fuck you!” in the middle of a
rehearsal), I almost decided to do a no-show for his solo (which was 36
hours after the incident), but given the fact that I had to live with him
and be in class all day long with him for the next month, I realized I had
no choice but to deal with him / this. So, I set up a treasure hunt of
sorts, set up a one-man movie theater that was playing a movie all about
Daniel, and I offered an opportunity for forgiveness.

Here is some writing I did as I was creating the movie:

What choice do I have?
Don’t do as I do
Disregard impulsivity
Don’t ask too many questions
Speak eloquently
Think before speaking
Vigilance Rules
Efficiency matters
Don’t push people’s buttons
Don’t get in others’ way
Am I in your way?
This is life
Have mercy on the human condition
Catharsis matters
I need a bit more time

No comments:

Post a Comment